A church has existed on this site since the 12th Century. Nothing remains of this early church - it may have been built with wood! There was extensive reconstruction in 1658 and again in 1771. The current building dates from 1870 when the then Lord of the manor, James Lamplugh Raper left £2,000 for its rebuilding.
The architect, Butterfield, incorporated parts of the previous church to form the vesry and this includes a 15th Century window. This new church was opened by the Bishop of Carlisle on the 23rd of August 1870.