Kirkland Mission

The foundation stone for the Mission was laid on 29th May, 1886. It was intended that this new building would help meet the social and religious needs of the village which was expanding rapidly due to the iron ore mining in the area. The Mission was designed by T L Banks of Whitehaven and built by J Green of Pardshaw at a cost of £564. The Bishop of Carlisle opened the Mission on 21st September 1886 and the service included a hymn composed for the occasion by Canon H Ranwsley, Vicar of Crosthwaite, Keswick, but now better known as one of the founders of the National Trust.